I realize it’s asking a LOT to take you back to around March of 2020. The beginning of the pandemic. Really…..I don’t think any of us want to go back there. But just stick with me here for a minute. As always, it might take me a minute but I DO have a point!
I can remember when “stay at home” orders were put into place for most of the country. People were rushing to grocery stores (seriously…..have you used all that damn toilet paper yet???) and we were all trying to figure out a new way of living.
Work from home. Homeschooling. Virtual family visits. Grocery deliveries. And the gas in my truck seemed to last forever because I wasn’t going anywhere!
Okay, that’s enough thinking back. We all lived it and I’m sure it’s still pretty fresh.
BUT! Not going anywhere or doing much of anything brought a change in how we faced most days. Crawl outta bed and grab the yoga pants for the day. Evening time, switch into my comfy joggers. And y’all – I am NOT ready to give that up!
In the last 14 months, there has probably been 25 times that I’ve put on my jeans. Yep. You read that right. MAYBE 25 times. And in those 25 times? Every single time, I could not wait to get back outta them! (Don’t even get me started on the days I needed to actually wear a damn bra.)
My yoga pants, leggings and joggers became my besties! #sorrynotsorry
And you know what? Just because life is opening back up, I don’t think I want to break up with these new best friends. EVER.
Have you ever heard the term “athleisure”? You probably have…….and it’s nothing “exact” other than basically being workout/active clothes you can take to the streets. And that, my friends, is my new go-to. Because I have been a damn slave to that button that never falls in the right place on my stomach for WAAAAAY too long. 😉
The active wear craze has been around for a long time but over the last year, it’s really blown up. Style + comfort + versatility and you’ve got a new normal – wearing your workout/active wear all day long!
It’s perfectly acceptable to do most things in your active wear…..running errands, coffee with a friend, etc. But listen…..just like anything else, there is some standards that you should know about if you wanna make your active wear YOUR new bestie.
- Rule #1 – Cover ya bum: I suppose if you’re young, or you’ve got a rockin’ body (neither of which apply to me) than you can ignore this but I feel like if your booty – no matter what – is covered then you’re good to go!
- Balance: If you see me in my leggings (and chances are you will) then I’m always balancing it out with a loose fitting top – whether it’s a sweater or a tee. The same applies to my skinny jeans (although I’m avoiding those as long as I can!) – you’ll typically see a looser fit top. But if my jeans are a loose boyfriend fit, my upper half will be more tailored.
- Jewelry: Active wear (think yoga pants or even better, our fabulous Love Your Leggings – and they’re half off right now!) is a great style choice for so many different occasions but you still need to make sure you’re outfit is appropriate for whatever it is you’re out doing, and if necessary, dress it up. Jewelry is always the best way to do that and the right pieces make it so easy to go from comfy bingeing out on Netflix on my couch to ready for brunch with a friend.
- Add a leather or denim jacket: You’re hanging out on a rainy day, all comfy on the couch in your yoga pants, tee and a messy bun and your friend calls and wants to meet for coffee. The “yes” is in your head but you don’t feel like changing into something that will help you look a little less “I’m lazy”. (You feel me, don’t ya?) Give a little two-finger front tuck to that tee or tie a knot in it so it gives dimension and looks less frumpy and grab a cute jacket! You just went from drab to fab.
- Layer, Layer, Layer! And I don’t mean you have to wear all the layers for a more polished look. Picture this…..you just walked out of yoga class in your tank top and black leggings and although that might be a super comfy go-to for class, it’s not the most polished. Grab a cute lightweight sweater or jacket and tie it around your waist. That will be enough to give you that “didn’t just get outta the gym” vibe.
- Shoes! You might be thinking that your yoga pants or leggings always require tennis shoes but girl……wrong! Seasonal trends in footwear give you so many options! Got a cute pair of Doc Martens? Maybe some ankle boots? And I LOVE the minimalist look of a really cute sweater or button down paired with a simple pair of Converse.
These little tips will allow you to wear your super comfy active wear during all your daily activities! Believe me when I tell you that I have no intentions of making my jeans a daily thing for a LONG time. Let me know in the comments if you have become besties with your favorite leggings too…..and if you wear them for all the things. I’d love to know you’re favorite looks!